Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Patrick Tigchelaar Lesson

So on recommendation from my friend Nadege, Danica and I went to Doswell, VA to take a lesson from Patrick Tigchelaar.

Amazing.

He asked me a little about myself and her. I told him the speel: I'm from a hunter/jumper background so I worry about my position; she get's a little fussy about accepting contact and judges always say she needs to develop her topline more.

So he watches us ride for a few minutes before diving into the lesson.

He had us work on getting her to step more underneath herself. So we did half pass (I believe walking side ways type stuff) against the wall. He praised her for being very smart and learning it quickly.

He really had a very easy way of explaining things. He kept on telling me don't do all the work. When you apply the leg she must listen. Which from my hunter background it's opposite we're very proud of our very strong lower leg. Probably why I see some dressage folks lower legs all swingy and I cringe.

Also really started to understand the concept of lightness in the reins, but for whatever reason it clicked with him.

But I began to understand what he's talking about. He really had me move her very forward and do circles making them small and then making them bigger. She really began to respond.
Then we worked on the canter. I told him she has a big canter but I just don't know what to do with it. He said once she's getting better we'll start to do fun stuff, basics first. :P
He really did like her, he said she has a good walk/trot/canter.

We're scheduled to go back August 7th. Danica enjoyed her lesson as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment