Friday, June 18, 2010

Side Saddle Experience


So yesterday I went to my first side saddle lesson. After sitting in traffic for nearly 1 and half I was at Fox Whisper Farm owned by Davera Ackenbom. She was super nice and I rode a mare named Kita (I believe).

She went over tacking up and a little of history. She's a ton of knowledge on side saddle. Then I got on! She gave me a leg up and I hit the poor mare in the hip. Not very lady like. :P But I was on. Then she showed me where to put my legs.

I think the toughest thing was I'm use to putting my heel down but it's opposite in side saddle you have to keep your heel up.

She didn't let me ride with the curb, just the snaffle until I get my seat better.

So after all the adjustments she had me walk. It was totally different, but completely awesome. I was smiling like crazy throughout the lesson.

During my lesson she taught me how to walk and how to trot. We also went into the side saddle post. Which was totally awkward. But I managed it. She said I'm a natural. :D She'll have me walk-trot-cantering and jumping in no time. I'm like ahhhh.... jumping.... ?!?!

Holding the reins was different. I need to hold them a bit to the side. She told me I'm going to be sore. I was. I still am. Especially my left side near my waist and hip. My legs last night were sore. When Cherie and I got out of my car to Chipotle my muscles weren't happy with me.

I'm definitely going to call her and schedule another lesson in the near future. It's kind of addicting.

Cherie got a video clip that I'll post later. :)

1 comment: