Saturday, December 19, 2009

sore horse

So I went to Lauren Sprieser's farm out in Marshall, Va. She has a beautiful place. It is so immaculate and stunning. I walked inside her barn to sign my waiver and nothing was out of place. I wish I could have a place like that, except more pastures. But then again Lauren is a trainer I want to breed. So difference of needs.

Anywho.

So I rode western for the fact that I don't have an english saddle. Felt a little weird riding western at a dressage facility. lol. But she was totally cool with it.

Lilly was a snorting machine. Everything was out to get her. Her arena was beautiful. I would have enjoyed looking at it more if I wasn't riding a snorting and spooky horse.

She's seen mirrors before, but at Lauren's place they are bright and shinny and clear. And omg the horse in the reflection is coming at me! AHHH!!!! <---That's in Lillys head.
She would spook at the side mirrors too.

Eventually she settled down enough were we could actually work a bit. She had me do a lot of circle and serpentine work. Trying to get Lilly to focus on me and not at the scary reflections. She also wanted me to really establish a good rhythm for the pony. She told me to look for songs to sing in my head when I ride to help my rhythm.

Lauren asked me to canter. ::cringe:: She canters fine the first time, she did the little head shake like she was thinking about bucking but didn't. Then Lauren said she knew what I was talking about.

She thinks either 1 of 2 things. 1. Lilly is still sore from the ill fitting saddle. 2. Lilly thinks she is still sore and remembers the pain.

So she told me to do the bute test. Give her bute for two days and then ride her, if she still acts sore than it's #1. If she's fine it's #2.

We worked in the other direction. Lilly started to buck at the canter, I had an oh shit moment, a brief second where I thought I was coming off, but I held on. Then I asked her again and she was fine. Silly pony.

Lauren ended short, because of the soreness issue, which I didn't mind anyhow. She ended up giving me back some of my cash.

I added bute to her dinner. Since it's blizzarding out there today it's going to be a light day. I kind of want to hack a bit in the snow, but we'll see how brave I get later.

No comments:

Post a Comment