Friday, September 25, 2009

Day 2 at Devon

So Day 2 was pretty much eventless asides hanging out with people.

Meet up with Wendy Rhodes and her husband Rusty. Then we sat in the stands with a lady named Martha Mitchell. Two Appy people with the last name Mitchell. Meet a L judge Lea Ann Hansen who I actually had contacted for judging at Quantico, but it didn't pan out. Dates didn't work. But she was nice, may have to ask her to come out next year.

We talked about Appaloosas for like 3 or 4 hours. Being a younger person I really didn't know there was so much discord between the App sporthorse folks. Us Appy people are prideful folks and being women we can get catty. But it's unfortunate because it really doesn't get us to work towards a common goal of breeding good apps that can excel in the Olympic disciplines. I'd really like seeing an Appy in the Olympics in my lifetime.

Another thing that KWPN or Oldenburg or other breeders don't have an issue with is their types. Yes there are different "types" the heavier, medium, more modern types, but not like the App world.

There are so many people breeding so many different types of Appies. Not only that it seems like if we do get Apps in dressage, the roof seems to be 2nd level. Then extensions come to be a limiting factor.

Plus there is the trainers who say if you want to go past 2nd level you need a WB.

There are Appy purist who just want to breed foundation lines. While I see no problem with that, there are dwindling numbers of the baroque type of foundation stallions.

My favorite baroquie (know that's not a word) stallion AK Pisko Hunka.
He's such a lovely horse. I'm not sure but I think the highest he competed was 2nd or 3rd level. He was 16.3 and beautiful. That's the kind of Apps that are going to get people looking at the Appaloosa breed and want one. Too bad he passed away last year. I would have loved a baby by him.

Growing up and wanting to breed horses I got this in my head I think from Arab people that the horse must compete and prove themselves before they can breed. When I start up my farm, doesn't matter what the breed the horse is, stallion or mare they have to show. Since I don't plan on having a huge operation I can be picky with my choices.

But we need to grow as an association and as a breed. Our horses in jumpers and eventing are doing well. Those classes deal less with judge's opinions and more ont he rider and horse. But dressage is still a field where a judge can be a little stinky if they want too. The hunter arena is like that too, but I think the judges don't mind the chrome, just depends on the judge.

But it's going to take our breeders to breed a true sporthorse type and market them to really be successful. Which in our economy it's a little hard to do. But like our Appies we'll periserve in any bad storm.

I wish I could start my breeding operation right now. I'm not of the purist train of thought.
I just want a good looking moving horse that has a good temperment and color. If I can use straight App to App breeding to accomplish that I will. But I do want to cross it with Oldenburgs or RPSIs to get a little more of the bigger movement and then the third generation breed it back to App lines to keep the color.

But eh big dreams. Need the credit, capital, and rich hubbie. lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment