Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My First Love


On May 26th a grey colt was born in Virginia. His sire was Imcaro a son of the Irish bred French champion Caro. His mother was Fancy Century by Accordingly. His breeder named him Caro's Cents. I think they called him "Centy". I hated this nickname so I called him Platinum. My friend Greg showed him as Platinum N Records. I liked Platinum, but I showed him as "Going Platinum."
One famous relative of note was Giant's Causeway. His sire's dam is Giant's Causeway's 3rd dam. So very distant relative.

He would go on to race for his breeder and owner 55 times in 5 years. He would win 2 races (4 shows and 4 places as well) and earn $10k on the track. Horse of the Year title was out of his grasps.

When I first laid my eyes on Platinum I hated him. This young event trainer who would become my friend didn't want him turned out and risk injury. So what I saw was an ugly Roman nosed crazy thing.

A year later when my mother said I could get a horse, Carla mentioned he was for sale. Greg's wife at the time hated horses and wanted him to get out of the business. With a new infant he relented. I didn't really want to see him at first, cause I had the memory in my head, but I went anyways.

It's amazing what turnout can do to a horse. He was laid back and relaxed and such a good boy. I took a few lessons on him and a short lease and vet check later he was mine.

He was the perfect first horse for me. He challenged me help take me from being a passenger to being a rider. Platinum was a good horse to learn how to jump on. He never refused a fence ever. Rush them, yes, but refuse them never. The rushing was a short period and we got over that.

We did hunter/jumper, pleasure, equitation, dressage, and even some western speed stuff. He was good with me, and kids. Screaming kids everywhere in our barn and he'd just chill in his stall.

The barn owner was a very anti-TB type of person. But she said he's okay by her. He was fleebitten so he's close to be an Appaloosa.

His favorite treats were gingersnaps and McDonald's apple pies. He'd get angry if I didn't get the apple pies out quick enough.

I could go on with stories upon stories. I think I'll share a few here and there. But I loved this horse. He was my boy. When I would get frustrated and mad at him, I'd drop my reins and walk back to the barn. He'd always give me these looks like "are you still mad?" Me: "don't give me those eyes." He'd look away sad. Then he'd look at me again. Finally I give him a kiss and he would be so happy again.

I sold him to a young girl. It was a tough decision, but she emailed me a few years ago to tell me he died. She seem to have similiar stories.
He ended up dying of a diaphragmatic hernia. What bothers me is that for months before he died I had a nagging feeling. A little voice in my head kept on telling me I should go visit Platinum. I needed to go. But I never did. :(

Happy Birthday baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment