Sunday, May 2, 2010

that's not right

So yesterday we had our schooling show at our barn. I pretty much run things, but since I have a great group of volunteers, I get to ride. So I left the show running in capable hands while getting my mare ready. I hopped on, and Lilly felt like a coil. Super super tense. I just trotted her and she seem to settle down, I asked for a canter, she picked up her lead but was really tight and felt odd.

So my ride time came up and I went in. We start the test. Then our first 20 meter circle came up, and explosion! She exploded into the canter and I yelled at her. Then we stopped. I took a couple of deep breaths and then I proceeded back to the trot. I was a little confused at where I was in the test, and the judge ringed the bell. Aviva Nebesky was the judge so she told me where I was suppose to be and I started over.
The rest of the test was not as crazy, but my mare wasn't being herself.
She wasn't nervous, because I know how she gets when she's nervous.
I finally finish my test and Aviva was like this is not the horse I remember seeing.
I told her this isn't my normal horse. I don't know what's going on with her today.
We talked for like 5 minutes. About saddling issues, maybe she's in heat, etc etc. She told me she doesn't look off, but she's just very tense. I told her she's been working hard lately.

Aviva recommended me to give her about 3 days off and then have my equine massage come out and work with her. Then to have someone who normally works with me to watch us ride again and see if she's still ouchy. She could just be sore from the increase amount of work lately.

I'm like augh. If she's not happy I'm not happy. I don't want to have my mare hurting. I never understood those folks who would show their horses knowing that they're lame. I told her I'm scratching from training 2. I rode her at the trot a little more in the warm up arena. So I don't know if the saddle maybe shifting wierd during the canter, or if maybe since I'm sitting more deeper in the saddle, her back hasn't strengthen enough to handle it yet.

...so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment