Friday, October 9, 2009

Conquering the Fear

Last year my dreams of having a champion hunter were dashed. More by my confidence and riding ability than Lilly's ability.

I took a fence (albeit no helmet not smart I know) and she jumped it like she was trying to qualify for the Olympics.

Upon the landing I knew I was in trouble. I crashed and burned. That's one major reason I'm switching from hunters to dressage.

Lilly is a beautiful hunter. But my old trainer is right in when he says if you're not perfect she won't jump. It's not that's she's being dirty, but it's kind of her personality. I do a lot of cardinal errors that my gelding let me get away with.
I've fallen off before, but those usually weren't bad. I was just sore and I get back on.

But that last fall was my final straw. So I decided that all feet on the ground was a better option.

So last night I donned my trusty helmet. :) And I warmed up and then I set up a tiny x-rail. We did it twice. I can tell she enjoyed it. But I was nervous as hell. First time she just trotted over it the second time she put more effort into it.

It felt good. I miss jumping. In like two of the clinics I've done every one of them has commetted I have good hunter equitation. But I think i'll wait for a better partner. One that once say "ah no."

I don't think I'll jump her any higher. I need a packer for hunters and she isn't one. But it's something that's been nagging me. You're suppose to get back on after you fall. Which I have obviously, but I haven't jumped since then.

Another thing in relation to this post. My hip has still been hurting from said accident. So I finally got an appointment with a sports medicine doctor next Friday. Hopefully it's nothing too horrid. If he says no riding I'll laugh at his face.

Tomorrow I got a clinic with Pascal Martin
Sunday I have a clinic with Greg Andrews.
Monday holiday. I may just hack her in the field. See if she won't die on me. She's not fond of going out on trail or riding outside the arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment