Sunday, October 11, 2009

Pascal Martin Clinic

So I headed off to Leesburg yesterday for the Vada/Nova Adult Clinic with Pascal Martin. I got lost for an hour.

Later I realized that Google Maps was right theoretically, it's just that they closed the road that it told me to take. My friend called me and her mom and I figured it out via their GPS.

I made it in time. Lilly was looking all around but once I started to groom her she settled. I hand walked her around their outdoor dressage arena and then the manager got me and told me I could go in.

It's a little nerve wracking to ride in front of strangers. You know they're watching and chatting. But oh well I did my thing.

Pascal came out and he was like ah an Appaloosa. But with his French accent it came out all French sounding.

He was extremely nice. At home I could tell you everything wrong with my horse. When he asked me my mind was blank. Then finally I found my voice and started to tell him. She finds it hard to flex and be on the bit. She'll just dive down.

He commented on my saddle. He said it's a good saddle, but not for dressage. Which I know it is. And I'm looking.

He told me most horses tend to be overflexed but she has the opposite problem. She sticks her nose out.

So we worked on that in the walk and halts at first. They were really baby steps, but for me I really needed it. And so did Lilly.

As we worked on it was amazing how much different she felt once she really started to flex at the poll and accept the bit. He told me to constantly squeeze the reins so she gets use to accept the bit more and loosens at the jaw.

She really started to respond. We worked the trot too and I could really feel her start to use herself better when she was flexing at the poll.

I was smiling because she felt really good. They ladies who were there clapped too. :) yay!

The canter was disastrous. We went to the left first and I went forward and blah. But we worked a little bit. Then to the right.

She bucked me off. I hit the ground hard. I got the wind knocked out of me and I was seriously thinking oh shit. So after chilling on the ground for a bit I relearned how to breath and Pascal helped me up. Lilly stood close to me during the whole thing.

I got back on. We worked again. He asked me to trot again, but I couldn't. My back and hips can't take the shock of posting or sitting the trot. So I told him I can't do it. So we worked back on the walk and halt transitions and getting her flexed.

We ended on a positive note. He's a really good teacher I'd recommend him. I wish I could have seen the other girls ride, but being late and having to go to a party I couldn't.

I talked to the ladies at the clinic. One of the noted that the buck didn't look like a naughty buck, but she may have been uncomfortable. I've been wondering if my saddle doesn't fit her anymore. I've noticed she's been relunctant to pick up her canter lately. But when I rode in my western saddle the other day she was fine.

They all liked her and thought she was cute. I was chatting with the ladies and she was just chilling with us. I've been really happy with how her behavior is lately. She has been really quiet and not letting things bother her like in recent past.

They all commented on how much she improved in the lesson. One lady took pics and hopefully she'll send me them. She did look good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment